There are more than 5000 different scientific researches in the world carried out about the impact of the sea buckthorn on health. We have summarized a few researches to help you to understand the sea buckthorn better and to provide an insight into the complicated nature of the sea buckthorn.
It is important to understand that Western scientists have only recently begun their research and already now it is completely clear that the sea buckthorn is one of the most valuable plants in the world. PubMed (in cooperation with the USA National Library of Medicine and National Institute of Health since 1950s has placed more than 16 million scientific publications) alone has published more than 175 researches about the sea buckthorn.
Seabuckthorn Research - This general research about the sea buckthorn is as a guide in the world of the sea buckthorn and it provides an insight into the impact of the sea buckthorn on health. This research can be purchased for $19.95 at
Seabuckthorn, Hippophae Rhamnoides L, A Whole Food Answer to Better Nutrition. Marcus C.C.W. Elliott, M.D. - 2005 Sea buckthorn - Hippophae Rhamnoides L., a whole food answer to better nutrition written by alumnus of Harvard University Dr Marcus Elliott. This book is easy to read and it explains the valuable qualities of the sea buckthorn.
Seabuckthorn (Hippophae L.), a Multipurpose Wonder Plant. Vol. II: Biochemistry and Pharmacology. Editor-in-Chief: Virendra Singh - 2006. This book gives a complete description of the sea buckthorn by considering such important issues as harmful impact of free radicals on the human body, necessity for antioxidants and qualities of antioxidants, and also the ability of the sea buckthorn to protect from radioactivity and harmful radiation. This book summarizes 42 different researches performed by scientists from Russia, China, India, Finland, Germany and Central Asia countries. The first chapter about Biochemistry summarizes 25 researches about bioactive components, for example, vitamins, carotenoids, sterols, tannins, fatty acids, amino acids and mineral substances. The second chapter contains 12 researches in the branch of pharmacology and offers a profound insight in the performed researches, tests, experiments, clinical researches with animals and humans about the impact of the sea buckthorn and such diseases as heart diseases, skin diseases, tumours, etc. The final chapter "Miscellaneous" has five researches about processing technologies and production of wholesome food and other sea buckthorn products. The book will be very useful to the researchers, homeopaths and all those interested in the sea buckthorn.
Облепиха и здоровье: Чудо-ягода для жизни и долголетия. Эйдельнант А.С. Many of us know the sea buckthorn but not everybody knows that its berries cure almost all diseases - from rhinitis to stomach ulcer. The secret is in the fact that the sea buckthorn contains almost all natural bioactive substances that are vital both for the sick and healthy ones. This book is about practically unlimited preventive and therapeutic options of the use of the sea buckthorn in medicine, its ecological and economical application, its use in cosmetology, cookery, as well as about its harvesting and processing. This book is written by a Russian scientist who has dedicated 40 years of his life to research the sea buckthorn. You only have to believe in the sea buckthorn just like Eidelnant did and you'll be just as healthy and energetic like him.
Облепиха исцеляющая и омолаживающая. Анастасия Артемова. Серия: Путешествие за здоровьем С этим товаром часто покупают. Publisher: Диля, 2001., Soft cover, 160 pgs. This book will help you to orientate in the wide choice of the sea buckthorn health recipes to find the one suitable for you.
Лечимся облепихой. Борис Покровский. Серия: Азбука здоровья, Издательства: АСС-Центр, ИКТЦ "Лада", 2005 г.
The sea buckthorn is a whole warehouse of vitamins with a range of healing qualities. The sea buckthorn oil, brew, juice, etc, are incomparable by such disorders as burns, skin diseases, erosion of the cervix uteri, gastric and duodenal diseases. This book contains the most popular folk medicine recipes using the sea buckthorn to strengthen health and heal various diseases.
Since 1950 PubMed has summarized 16 million different researches from MEDLINE and other important scientific magazines. Here are summarized also more than 130 researches in the sea buckthorn.
Google Scholar summarizes researches, thesis, books, abstracts and other research literature about the sea buckthorn. Use Google Scholar about the sea buckthorn and you'll find more than 500 different publications. Write hippophae rhamnoides in the searcher and you'll find more than 5700 different researches!
Icrts.org is a Chinese, Finish and Russian civic organization researching the sea buckthorn. Their first conference devoted to the sea buckthorn was in 1989, where the International Seabuckthorn Association (ISA) was founded. During the third conference in 1995 the International Centre for Research and Training on Seabuckthorn (ICRTS) was established. Now the association every two years arrange international conferences. Their website in English summarizes interesting scientific information, however, wider information in available in Chinese (www.icrts.org/chinese). Here this information can be translated in English: babelfish.altavista.com.
Other Selected Studies:
1. Seaberry, Hippophae rhamnoides L., United States Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Service, http://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/
2. Li TSC, Beveridge THJ. Sea buckthorn: a new medicinal and nutritional botanical. Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Publication No. 10320E, Ottawa, 2007.
3. Li TSC, Beveridge THJ. Sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.): production and utilization. National Research Council of Canada, Research Press No. 46317, ISBN 13-9780660190075
4. Dharmananda S. Sea buckthorn. Institute of Traditional Medicine Online, 2004, http://www.itmonline.org/arts/seabuckthorn.htm
5. Zeb A. Important therapeutic uses of sea buckthorn (Hippophae): a review. J Biol Sci 4:687-693, 2004. http://ansijournals.com/jbs/2004/687-693.pdf
6. Yang B, Kallio HP. Fatty acid composition of lipids in sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.) berries of different origins. J Agric Food Chem. 2001 Apr;49(4):1939-47.
7. Yang B, Karlsson RM, Oksman PH, Kallio HP. Phytosterols in sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.) berries: identification and effects of different origins and harvesting times. J Agric Food Chem. 2001 Nov;49(11):5620-9.
8. Tiitinen KM, Hakala MA, Kallio HP. Quality components of sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides) varieties. J Agric Food Chem. 2005 Mar 9;53(5):1692-9.
9. Cenkowski S, Yakimishen R, Przybylski R, Muir WE. Quality of extracted sea buckthorn seed and pulp oil, Can Biosystems Engin 48:3.9-3.16, 2006. http://engrwww.usask.ca/oldsite/societies/csae/protectedpapers/c0508.pdf
10. Yang B, Linko AM, Adlercreutz H, Kallio H. Secoisolariciresinol and matairesinol of sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.) berries of different subspecies and harvesting times. J Agric Food Chem. 2006 Oct 18;54(21):8065-70.
11. Zeb A. Chemical and nutritional constituents of sea buckthorn juice. Pak J Nutr 3:99-106, 2004.
12. Kallio H, Yang B, Peippo P, Tahvonen R, Pan R. Triacylglycerols, glycerophospholipids, tocopherols, and tocotrienols in berries and seeds of two subspecies (ssp. sinensis and mongolica) of Sea Buckthorn (Hippophaë rhamnoides). J Agric Food Chem. 2002 May 8;50(10):3004-9.
13. Singh V, Gupta RK, Sawhney RC, Arumughan C. Tocopherols and carotenoids in fruit pulp oil of seabuckthorn growing in dry temperate Himalayas, In: Proceedings of the 2nd Conference of the International Seabuckthorn Association, Beijing, China, August, 2005.
14. Gorbatsova J, Lõugas T, Vokk R, Kaljurand M. Comparison of the contents of various antioxidants of sea buckthorn berries using CE. Electrophoresis. 2007 Nov;28(22):4136-4142.
15. Zeb A. Anti-carcinogenic potential of lipids from Hippophae: evidence from the recent literature, Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev 7:32-5, 2006 http://www.apocp.org/cancer_download/Volume7_No1/Zeb.pdf
16. List of presentations, 3rd Conference of the International Seabuckthorn Association, Quebec City, August 2007, http://www.isa2007.net/stock/eng/program-isa2007-august-08.pdf
17. Larmo P, Alin J, Salminen E, Kallio H, Tahvonen R. Effects of sea buckthorn berries on infections and inflammation: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial, Eur J Clin Nutr. 2007 Jun 27 (ahead of print).